Nearly every teen suffers from breakouts at some point during puberty. During these years there is a surge of androgen hormones with in the body. Androgens stimulate the sebaceous glands creating an oilier complexion making teens more prone to breakouts. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, Acne is the most common skin disorder in the U.S.
Teen and pre-teen acne typically can begin between the ages of 10 and 13. It usually starts around the nose and can spread to the forehead and beyond. As early as 9, girls and boys should start to cleanse their faces every night before bed. If you are in your teens, this is a good time to begin taking care of your face the right way, so you can develop good skin care habits into adulthood.
HERE ARE SOME TIPS THAT WILL HELP
1. CLEANSE. Daily facial cleansing is important. Sometimes, this alone can improve mild comedones. A comedo or acne lesion, (Zit) occurs when a plug of oil and dead skin cells become trapped with in a hair follicle. Think Blackheads and whiteheads. Using a mild cleanser containing some Salicylic Acid twice a day (morning and night) may help prevent your pores from getting clogged. Never go to bed with your make-up on. But don’t go overboard either. To much cleansing or scrubbing can actually irritate and stimulate your skin, producing more oil. If your skin is very oily during the day, you can use acne pads or rice paper to absorb the oil. This is great for boys or girls. Boys can keep the rice paper in their pockets. Aveda’s Outer Peace foam cleanser cleans deep into pores dissolving make-up, oil, sebum and other impurities without over drying. The Outer Peace Acne Pads have been clinically proven to help eliminate blackheads and keep skin consistently clear. It delivers medicine (salicylic acid) deep into the pores and helps prevent future breakouts. This is one of my personal favorites. I use these pads myself and they never leave my skin feeling dry.
2. MOISTURIZE. Although your skin is oily, you still need to moisturize after cleansing using an oil free product. Aveda’s Outer Peace Acne Relief lotion is a lightweight moisture-balancing lotion that also helps clear blemishes. It minimized the appearance of pores and helps to prevent future breakouts.
3. ZIP POPPING Please keep your hands off your face. I know it’s tempting when you see that huge juicy zit on your face to pick, pop or squeeze. But you can do considerable damage to your skin. Remember, a pimple is temporary but a scar will last forever. You can use a spot treatment if you need to. Like Aveda’s Acne Spot Relief. It will reduce the redness and swelling.
4. FACIALS The results you get from acne facial treatments depends on many factors. How severe is your acne? How often do you have the treatments done? How consistent are you with skin care regimens at home? And how skilled is the esthetician?
Teens or adults with blackheads and other non-inflammatory blemishes may find regular facial treatments help reduce breakouts and keep skin looking smoother. During a facial, your Lotus esthetician, performs extractions by manually removing pore blockages. She will start by thoroughly cleansing your face. She will also apply masks and other products to reduce surface oil, remove dead skin cells, soothe or hydrate and will recommend some of these products for you to take home. Your technician will know if a case of inflamed acne is beyond her expertise and will refer you to a dermatologist. Also if you are taking Accutane or Retin A, please consult your doctor about getting facials.
5. HOME CARE. You are more likely to keep a regime going at home if you have the right products. Besides cleansing and moisturizing, using a weekly mask or exfoliator will encourage new skin to come to the surface faster. Aveda’s Deep Cleansing Herbal Clay Masque will deep clean your pores. And the Outer Peace Cooling masque will instantly calm skin and reduce redness. When examining your skin, your Lotus technician can recommend the right Masque for you. And always remember to protect your skin from the sun with sunscreen with a minimum SPF 15. This will reduce your chances of skin cancer and premature aging.
For you girls, Lotus can also give you tips on the right make-up to use. and always make sure to clean your make-up brushes a few times a week with mild soap and then spray them with rubbing alcohol. Otherwise your brush will be loaded with bacteria. Use disposable applicators when possible.
Even if you are super busy, try not to neglect your skin. Developing good habits now can keep your skin looking healthy through most of your life.